Sunday, November 22, 2009

Waiting Game

March 27, 2008
Colton got off the vent at around 4 this afternoon. He hasn't had any trouble since they got him off. He is being fed and handling that fine as well... they are slowly increasing his formula to get him back up to where he needs to be. We get to take his swing that Aunt Donna got him up to Lexington tomorrow... they say he is big enough for it now, I know he will love that. Seth and I got to spend some time holding him this evening... we haven't got to do that since before the last surgery so it was great! No new news concerning the shunt... the neurosurgeon wants him to be a little bigger due to his "event" last time. He weighed 5 pounds 13 ounces tonight.

March 31, 2008
Colton has officially outgrown his preemie clothes!!!!! He is now wearing newborn... I never thought I would be able to say something was too small for him but it happened. As of last night Colton weighed 6 pounds 5 ounces... he is getting sooo big! The feeding tube was removed yesterday, he is receiving all of his feedings by bottle and they are almost up to what they were before his surgery. They no longer feel the need to check his aspirate (left over food in his tummy). Yesterday Colton got to swing for the first time and boy did he love it!

April 6, 2008
Not much to say in this update. Right now Colton is just growing and resting in the NICU. He does have an infection but he is on antibiotics and that should be taking care of it. His eye surgery was postponed due to the infection... no word on when it will take place now. Everyone keeps asking when he will get to come home and my honest answer is no one really knows anymore. They keep preparing us for his homecoming and then something comes up causing him to stay in the NICU for a little bit longer. Colton keeps finding new ways to get in to trouble :) So your guess is as good as mine but hopefully he will be home soon. Keep your fingers crossed and keep praying. Colton weighed 6 pounds 12 ounces tonight.
April 16, 2008
Sorry for the lack of updates but as I said in the last post there really isn't much to say and I have been sick a lot lately. Colton weighs just under 7lbs... he is getting soooo big. Right now we are waiting on decisions to be made by the eye doctor and neurosurgeon. Colton has an eye exam Friday to determine if he needs another surgery or not and after that they will decide if he is going to get the shunt. Once these decisions are made and surgeries are finished we are home free but right now it seems we are playing a waiting game that is driving us crazy! I have had a lot of talks with the nurses telling them that I feel like Colton is never going to get to come home and they have assured me that we are soooo close. I ask that while you continue to pray for Colton also pray for us... pray that we have patience and understanding. Pray that we stay optimistic. I ask that you do this because I find myself getting discouraged a lot more often than in the beginning of this journey. I feel like Colton needs to be home with all the people who love him... I am ready to be a "hands-on" mother. Most of all I pray for strength... and I know that the best place to turn is to God and to all of you out there who have faith and have already gotten us through so much. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

April 17, 2008
Today, Colton is one month old (corrected). Shunt surgery is scheduled April 23rd. I pray that the surgery happens on this day and we can finally get our boy at home with us.

April 21, 2008
Colton's surgery has been moved up from Wednesday to tomorrow (Tuesday). The neurosurgeon called me this morning to let me know that his head was pretty full and they were going to need to go ahead with the surgery first thing in the morning (meaning 7:30 a.m.). I'm nervous but ready to get this step over with.

Next: Optimistic?

No comments:

Post a Comment