Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, November 9, 2009

Christmas in the NICU

December 22, 2007
I got to hold my sweetpea for the second time this evening and Seth was there with me this time. It made it that much more special to have our little family together. Seth has not yet got to hold him. Because of Colton's size he can only stay out of his incubator for a couple hours and during that time they want the Mom and baby together, to help the baby and Mom. I can tell that Seth is a little anxious about holding him, Colton is so small and Seth is a big guy. Colton threw a holy fit when he was taken away from me tonight, this time we caught his temper on the camera.


December 25, 2007
Merry Christmas! Colton is one month old today!!! The one month milestone is very important for preemies, his chances of survival go up tremendously today. We are not entirely out of the woods yet, I made the mistake of mentioning survival rates to a nurse yesterday. She just stated that he was "still a very sick little boy". Colton weighs 2 pounds 2 ounces, he is growing. Last night, Christmas eve, Colton was having a lot of trouble breathing so they had to move him from the conventional vent to the big oscillator, the one he was on in the beginning. While he is on this high frequency vent I cannot hold him so I was pretty bummed that I would not get to hold Colton on Christmas Eve or Day. They think that the pressure his brain is experiencing from the IVH is causing his desats, they are still not sure what to do about this. He is a little too small for brain surgery just yet. Seth and I spent all night and morning at the hospital and then most of the day with family back in Frankfort. It was the longest I had ever been that far away from my Colton, I did okay.


December 26, 2007
Colton is not good, his lungs are having a lot of trouble, he is hanging in there. He has been placed on steroids to help and is still on the high frequency vent. To have this happen the day after Christmas and his one month birthday is hard, our spirits are down but we know God is watching over us all.

Next: Hello 2008

1 comment:

  1. i have enjoyed reading these entries and getting a glimpse into colton's life in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete